Thursday, October 30, 2008

Questionable Market Research!



Ok, so today, i am a little upset...actually for the past week or so! I recently saw the new Dodge Challenger driving down the Parkway and nearly ran myself off the road at the sight and absolute awe of it! "Wow, that is one gorgeous car!" I thought to myself. With it's sexy, bulky yet sleek styling reminiscent of when MoPar was king! I immediately looked it up online, looked at the different versions, and the future concepts planned for it! Hoping that there would soon, if not already, be a convertible Challenger, I found a couple blurbs that spoke of a convertible version that was intended to be released in 2009. "Oooh, really, I am so on top of that", I just melted in my seat when I read it, I immediately started planning on getting one! I absolutely love the new Ford Mustang style that debuted in the 2005 model year. It was gorgeous, and of course, I immediately ran out to buy one! I couldn't let everyone else have all the fun! So, naturally, when I read that the new Challenger was going to release a convertible model, I started planning! Now, I have been a Mustang (or Pony) Girl since the day I could spell C..A..R.. but I was ready and willing to cheat on my beloved Mustang for this indisputable beauty.

Well, early October, it was released that they were NOT going to be releasing the convertible version... WHAT??? WTF???... How disheartening! I was so excited, and now, i am so sad... like Dodge single handedly sliced open my chest plate, slowly and methodically removed my heart, gently placed it on a table, and proceded to smash the life out of it with a rubber mallot! So Sad!

Apparently Dodge's market analysis has determined that there isn't enough demand for them, no market for a Throw-back muscle/sport car with a convertible top?! I'm sorry, but the Mustang seems to be doing ok? Am I wrong, it seems to me that everytime I am on the road I see a minimum of 5-6 Mustangs, 2-3 of which are convertibles. Frankly, the new Challenger seems to be a direct competitor with the redesigned Mustang, and if I am seeing a quarter to a third of Mustangs as convertibles, then logic would tell me that there is indeed a market for this.

But alas, you can't talk common sense into corporate big wigs, because of course they know it all, they do make millions of dollars each year of course, so they obviously think like an "average American", Duh! And becuase they wouldn't buy one, because they would rather be rolling around in their Hummers, Maseratis, or Bentleys, we can reasonable assume that the rest of the country, or world for that matter, would do the same!

Alas, Dodge, you have once again disappointed me, and apparently I am going to have to stick to my Sexy, Sleek, Fast & Furious Ford Mustang! Thanks for Nothing!!! I hope my beloved Mustang will forgive me for my lustful thoughts, I won't let it happen again!

:)
Ok... that's my rant for today, I feel much better!

1 comment:

Scott Tacy said...

I hate to rain on your parade my friend but it is 50/50 that there will be a Challenger of any type next year. I know a guy that works at the factory where they are made and he is not hopeful the plant will be open next year. That car is the last thing people are looking for, trust me on that I have some experience with market research in the field. A gas guzzling 2 door that is overpriced and has questionable build quality is exactly what is wrong with American cars and they will never get the money they are looking for with cars like that in their future. May I recommend the 2 door Accord or the Acura TL. Both have great looks and gobs of power. Yes I am biased to Honda but look to the new F Series Lexus or the BMW 3 Series for other choices.